Wednesday, September 12, 2007

The great Indian "Bura" - Finely grained sugar

Why am I writing about “Bura”? Most Indians know about it. It is finely grained sugar and generally eaten with rice and ghee. As far as I know everyone knows about “Bura”. It’s the most famous desert for common Indian people especially in Uttar Pradesh.
I love it with Chawal (Rice) and Dahi (Yogurt) and whenever I don’t feel like eating those stupid yuck vegetables “Bura” saves my day!! It is used with other Indian dishes like Panjeere (Made in winters), pickles and many more.

Bura is pure sugar that is carbohydrates. Poor people eat their 2 day meals with it along with chapatti (Bread) and it is very cheap. You can get a kilo of it for few Rupees only. We eat it everyday but no one talk about it. Couple of months back a good friend (aahhmm aahhmm) of mine asked me what is Bura? I was shocked to hear that. We had a brief and not so quiet altercation (oops) about it. And we ended up not talking to each other for a day or two. It took me a while to convince my friend that bura is one of the most common thing found in Indian kitchens. We almost killed each other that day. Well I generally don’t discuss this topic with my friend now.

But it raised an important question in my mind that there are still many people in this country who don’t know about the food of the common people.

No comments: